Spring is certainly my favorite time in China. The winter here in Bozhou is long, cold, and hits hard. There is no heating and temperature inside and outside are the same. So by the time March rolls around and you can make an attempt at imagining putting your heavy winter coat away, you feel like you’ve survived a winter apocalypse.
By the end of March, you can find little green buds on the ends of the trees and flowers starting to force their way into view all around the city. Then, April hits and all of a sudden, it’s spring! Every flower seems to bloom at once and varieties I can’t begin to name explode with pink, red and white blooms.
This spring I took photos of Bozhou’s most common flowers all around the city. Enjoy.
1. Pear Blossom 梨花
2. Peach Blossom 桃花
3. Cherry Blossom 樱花
4. Apricot Blossom 杏花
5. Plum Blossom 梅花
6. Peony 芍花
7. Azalea 杜鹃花
8. Chinese Parasol Tree or Phoenix Tree 梧桐树
9. Winter Sweet 腊梅
10. Common Field Speedwell 波斯婆婆纳
Addition: Oilseed rape 油菜花. There are rape fields all around the countryside, which bloom in a beautiful yellow, but this year I haven’t had the chance to take pictures. Maybe next year.
A few of my photos have also been featured in Bozhou’s newspaper 亳州晚报.
What flowers are common in your city? Do you enjoy spring time as much as I do?
Latest posts by Anna Z. (see all)
- Why You Need a VPN in China - March 4, 2017
- 10 Best Things You Should Give as a Chinese New Year Gift - January 26, 2017
- “Sheng Da Pang Sunzi 生大胖孙子” The pressure of having a boy in rural China - December 11, 2016
- “Your baby must be cold!” – Comic - December 4, 2016
- The Thing I Wish I Knew Before Marrying into a Chinese Family - November 20, 2016